The BMW K1600GT/ K1600GTL is a beast of a bike that requires hefty support to stand up to its size. Weighing in at just less than 800 pounds, AltRider’s in-house design team took a careful analysis of the center of gravity and the ability to distribute the robust load on impact. In the case of an accidental tip-over, the cross bar distributes the load from one side to the other, relieving pressure from the existing mounting points to the other side of the bike. The connector bar adds significant strength to the design, effectively connecting into the threaded and blind boss on each side which provides 2 more locations for distributing impact. The engine protection bars are available in shot peen silver or powdercoat black.
The assembly for these engine protection bars is moved out 1.75” and up 2” from the original OEM design. This unique design change was made for two reasons:
1. This design provides a higher resting angle when the bike is on its side, allowing a rider to pick the bike up after it falls on its side. Unlike boxer motors, the K1600 will lie almost flat making it difficult to even pick up the bike. The higher point of the bar will stop the bike from rolling over further, making it manageable for a single operator to upright the bike. This will minimize the damage to the upper fairings, windshield, mirrors, and handlebars.
2. The current OEM engine bars are placed very low on the frame and become a pivot point causing a falling bike to continue to topple over onto the upper fairings. Our design halts this problem with the enlargement of the AltRider bars, preventing the bike from rolling over further in any crash or stationary drop.
AltRider Engine Protection Bars will keep your K 1600 in top performance shape while providing the much needed coverage in the case of spills and stationary drops.
Fits 2011 and Newer GT
Fits 2011-2012 GTL
Compatible with 2011-2012 GTL light brackets
- Stunning shot peen silver or powdercoat black finish
- Precision manufactured mounts bolts up effortlessly
- Hand TIG welded, yielding extra strength
- Quality stainless construction resists rust or oxidation
- 1 inch stainless steel tubing
- Manufactured in the USA
AltRider Engine Protection Bars for BMW K1600GT/ K1600GTL is available in the following colour options:
AltRider is a Seattle-based company manufacturing 100% American-made accessories and gear for adventure touring motorcycles. We offer premium protection parts for the adventure bikes from BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Triumph and Yamaha. We also offer waterproof adventure luggage through the AltRider Hemisphere soft luggage line. Being riders ourselves, the AltRider team expects performance and value from the products they use. Great care goes into every step of the AltRider creation process, from the initial concept to the finished piece. Each AltRider protection part functions well, looks good on your bike, and can truly stand up to brutal riding conditions.
Brilliant protection. Best bars for the K1600By: Peter on 5 July 2020I recently parked my K1600GTL on uneven ground. When I got off the bike I couldn't deploy either stand. I went to get back on the bike to move it and it tipped over. It just rolled onto the AltRider crash bars and stopped with no other part of the bike except the rear crash bars and tires touching the ground. I was able to pick the bike up easily and the powder coating on the bars was not even damaged. After owning many bikes I knew dropping a heavy bike like the K1600 while maneuvering at really low speed is a risk. When I saw the AltRider bars were designed to hold the bike up a bit more than other brands I thought it was a great idea. They are an very good investment. I put wunderlich bars on the back to protect the side cases and the two brands worked perfectly together.